Saturday, May 15, 2010

Making Atlatl Darts

My new friend Kate trying out the atlatl.

Tom Mills is our atlatl guru


Our campground at the Conejo Shoot a few weeks ago.


I spent the better part of the day working on my atlatl darts. I had straightened them initially and put the project on hold for too long. Now they are bent again or I didn't do that great of a job in the first place. I noticed the reeds had dried a lot more and all the ties were loose. So I did my best to restraighten them over a can of Sterno with disappointing results. I cut off some of the ends that had cracked and tied them all in a bundle again so they could keep each other straight. I had hoped to add feathers today, but I'm mentally done for now.

I'm also cleaning some feathers for earrings. I am refreshing them with a hit of Fabreeze. I laid them on a drop cloth, spritzed them, then put a piece of plastic needlepoint canvas on top to keep the breeze from stealing them away while they dry.

No comments: